I have to admit, I am not a night person. If I make it to 10:00 pm, it’s quite a miracle! And New Years Eve is no different sadly. While I’m sure people have fun ringing in the New Year at parties and bars, I’d much rather stay home and enjoy some fun with my family. This New Year’s Eve, if you’re home (either by choice or from plans that fell through), try some of these ideas with your loved ones. You’ll find most are a lot more frugal than a night out anyway:
- Cook a Special Dinner: Make something that you might not make on a normal night. We’ve done crab dinners before or a surf & turf style of lobster and steaks. If you’re home without any kids, make sure to make it more romantic than normal. Add some candles, put on some nice clothes and have some champagne!
- Make Special Drinks at Home: Make a version safe for the kids like these Cranberry Lemon Fizz & Cranberry Ginger Punch drinks and then enjoy your’s a little stronger!
- Family Board Night: Choose your favorite family games and make a night of it
- Ring in the East Coast New Year’s: Can’t make it until midnight? Celebrate at 9pm when the East Coast does!
- Cooking Decorating: Bake cookies and spend the evening decorating them! Here are 50+ cookie ideas!
- Movie Night: Choose a movie your whole family would enjoy and spend the evening with a great film. Make sure to pick one up for you once the kids go to bed too!
- Have a Theme Night: Choose a theme like luau, Mexican, Italian, etc and make a dinner, drinks and games all about that theme.
- Video Game Night: Make sure you’re up and moving but have some fun as a family playing some active video games.
- Have a PJ Party: Let the whole family snuggle up in some jammies, start a fire in the fireplace and serve up some hot chocolate to go with the rest of the fun.
- Share Favorite Memories from the Year: Gather around with your loved ones and share a special memory from the year.
- Have a Scavenger Hunt: Set up clues all around your house and set the family off on a scavenger hunt they won’t soon forget!
- Plan a Big Vacation for Next Year: Together with your family, start the plans for a big vacation in the New Year. Get it on the calendar, choose a destination and start the planning.
- Make a Time Capsule: Choose some different items around your home that represent this era: fashions, popular items, music. Include some news articles, magazines or anything else that shows some current events going on. Have the kids draw some pictures or write a letter to their future selves.
- 5-10-15 Years Ahead: Talk about your goals and dreams for the future. Where do you hope to be in 5, 10 or 15 years? What do you hope to be doing?
- Make a Resolution Board: Have each person choose a simple resolution (or a few!) that they’d like to work on for the New Year and write it on a post-it. On a poster board or any paper, write “Family Resolutions” on the top of it. Have each member go and stick their resolution to the board. Display it some where in your home where each of you can be reminded of your goals and encourage each other to stick to their goals.
How will you be celebrating New Year’s? Tell us in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!