Summer is so close! Do you have activities planned yet for the kids? Or maybe you’re just not really the planning type and but like to keep a few ideas in your back pockets for the days that you need them (that’s me!). One thing I’ve learned in the past couple of years is that life is short and I will do everything I can t to enjoy moments with my family and work to create lasting memories. We have some great things planned for this summer and most of them are free or very cheap! Together with my girls, we’ll be busting our boredom with this list of 40+ summer activities for kids on the Central Coast of California!
My girls are 12 and 8 years old so this list is geared to elementary and tween aged kiddos. But if you have toddlers or preschoolers, you may enjoy our Summer Bucket List from a few years ago.
40 Summer Activities for Kids on the California Central Coast
- Ravine Water Water Park – Paso Robles, CA (Meet LOU (MIRANDA MAY) from the Disney Channel’s BUNK’D on July 16 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Mustang Water Park – Lopez Lake, Arroyo Grande – newly renovated and new ownership!
- Oso Flaco Lake Hike & Beach – Guadalope, CA
- Host an International Exchange Student with EF
– Avila Hot Springs (enjoy movies in the evenings in the mineral tub),
– Lucia Mar Rec Swim: Arroyo Grand High School Pool, Nipomo High School Pool
- Free Kids Bowling – Select locations including Rancho Bowl, Santa Maria, CA
- U- Pick Blueberries – Santa Maria, CA
- U-Pick Blueberries – Buellton, CA off Hwy 101
- Day in Solvang, CA – A Danish Village!
- U-Pick Berries & Veggies at Rutiz Farms – Arroyo Grande, CA
- Explore Tide Pools – Shell Beach, CA
- Explore Tide Pools – Cayucos, CA
- Avila Valley Barn – Avila Beach, CA – animals, produce, gift shop, ice cream, hay rides, U-pick & more
- Bob Jones Bike Trail – Avila Beach, CA
- Go to the Beach – Grover, Pismo or Avila Beach
- $1 Summer Movies – Tuesdays & Wednesdays
- Go to Garage Sales
- Charles Paddock Zoo – Atascadero, CA
- Circus Vargas – Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo in June and July
- VBS – Vacation Bible Schools – Grace Bible Church, Arroyo Grande (June 27 – July 1) and New Life Church, Pismo Beach (July 25 – 29)
- Bike Rides
- A Day in Avila Beach – Aquarium, Park and Beach (and snow cones!)
- Moonstone Beach – Cambria, CA
- A Day in Morro Bay – Tidelands Park, Hike to Morro Rock
- Visit Ostrichland in Buellton, CA
- Visit Miniature Horses in Santa Ynez at Quicksilver Ranch
- Sunny Fields Park & Hans Christian Andersen Park in Solvang
- $3 Everyday Movies in Santa Maria – Edwards 10 theatre
- Drive-in Movie Theaters – San Luis Obispo or Santa Maria, CA
- Get books at the library
- Kite Flying at the beach
- Meadow Creek Trail – Grover Beach to Beach and Pismo Beach Butterfly Grove
- Nature Center and Lagoon Trail – Oceano, CA
- Take the Trolley to Avila Beach Farmers Market
- Apple Picking in August at SLO Creek Farms, San Luis Obispo
- Thrift Store Shopping
- Bon Jon Art Classes – really reasonably priced themed 1-2 day art classes
MORE Summer Just Added:
- 10 Secret Places to Visit in San Luis Obispo County
- Santa Maria Discovery Museum – educational family fun for only $8 for kids and $4 for parents
- Blueberry Picking at Willowbrook Blueberry Farm in Arroyo Grande – Saturdays 9 – 12pm
- Summer Art Classes sponsored by Arroyo Grande Recreation Department and Art for Kids of All Ages.
6 classes, Tuesday & Thursday starting June 21st.
- Hardy Pool in Cayucos – Admission is only $2.50
- Fort Hope Taco Camp – educates kids about where their food comes from
- Fort Hope Constuction Camp – (14 – 18 yrs old) teaches construction skills, teamwork, responsibility, diligence and character
- St. Williams VBS in Atascadero – June 13 – 17th
- Visit our nearby California Missions -San Luis, Santa Ynez, San Miguel, San Antonio, Lompoc
- Painted rocks on the Carissa Plains – a smooth horseshoe-shaped marine sandstone rock formation with pictograph rock art from early settlers
- Baking & Cooking new foods at home
- Lompoc Aquatics Center – Waterslides and water play structures!
Let me know if you have more ideas in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!