The Big Game is just around the corner, and many people are thinking of hosting a party and inviting their friends over. But, parties can often be a big expense.
Here are a few great strategies for hosting a fun Super Bowl party without losing control of your budget.
- Don’t set high expectations. Party budgets usually get out of control because people feel they need their party to be extra special. Don’t do that. Don’t set any sort of expectation in the invitation. Just invite people to your party and keep it low-key.
- Plan before you shop. A shopping list is necessary to saving money. Figure out what you need ahead of time and make a list before you head to the store. When you go shopping, stick to your list, don’t buy anything extra. If you decide you want something else later, or you spend less than you planned, you can always go back.
- Provide cheap, but tasty, food. Don’t try to impress people with a gourmet meal. Look for recipes that just have a few ingredients and feed lots of people. Plan things like chili with assorted toppings, a big bowl of fries or chips, a few dips and one simple dessert.
- Make it a potluck party. Ask everyone to bring a snack and a beverage. This is a great way to keep it low-key and fun party. Everyone loves sharing their favorite recipes with friends. And if all your guests bring a six-pack of soda or beer or a bottle of wine, there will be plenty for everyone.
- Stick with reusable party plates instead of paper ones. If you plan on holding several parties in the future, buy a stack of reusable plastic party plates. You can find them very inexpensively, usually a dollar or less each. Once everyone has eaten, you can simply run them through the dishwasher and put them back into storage when the party’s over. It’s far less expensive over the course of several parties than buying bundles of paper plates that just go right into the trash. Plus, plastic plates are sturdier so your friends are less likely to spill on your carpet.
- Use what you already have to decorate. Buying decorations for your party can really send your budget over the top. Look around your house for things you can use or make your own decorations with a few inexpensive supplies like poster board, crepe paper, and markers.
What are you plans for Super Bowl? Share with us in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!