Have you ever wondered if spaghetti squash can be cooked quickly in the microwave? It is a great healthy alternative to pasta, but it can take so long to bake in the oven. I knew there had to be a quick and easy way to cook spaghetti squash.
A few nights ago, I desperately needed a quick and easy dinner for my family. Everyone was starving (me included) and I had nothing planned. I decided to mix up a quick pot of spaghetti with my special Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce. Perfect! Quick to make and at least everyone would be getting some vegetables! But what was I going to eat? Pasta isn’t something I eat anymore as I try to keep my blood sugar under control and maintain my weight loss.
I spotted the long-forgotten spaghetti squash in my veggie bowl. Of course! Spaghetti squash would be my perfect substitute for this meal. However, I only had a few minutes before dinner would be ready. I knew it would take nearly an hour in the oven. Was it possible to cook it in the microwave any faster?
On a whim, I sliced it in half and put it in an microwave safe dish with a little water to keep it from burning. I assumed the steam from the water would probably help it cook too. I cooked it on high for 10 minutes and then checked it. It seemed to be working! The squash was softening and not burning at all.
I put it in for 5 more minutes and check it again. The strings of the squash were now tender and easy to pull away from the skin with a fork. My method has actually worked!
I scooped out half of the squash onto my plate and covered it in my homemade pasta sauce. It was delicious, and best of all, it was done in just 15 minutes. I was able to enjoy a healthy substitute with my family without eating an entirely different meal. This is definitely a trick I’ll be pulling out on every spaghetti night!
How to Microwave a Spaghetti Squash
- Carefully cut your squash in half and cut off the ends. They are very hard so if you need to, microwave it whole for just 5 minutes to begin to soften it before you cut it.
- Scrap out the seeds.
- Fill a microwave safe casserole dish with about an inch of water.
- Lay the halved squash cut-side down into the water.
- Microwave on High for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on the size of your squash
- Once the squash is tender, take a fork and scrap out the flesh. It will string into spaghetti-like strands.
- Cover the squash, as you would with spaghetti.
What do you like to put on your spaghetti squash? Share with us in the comments below!
- How to Cook Chicken Once to Use All Week Long
- The Best Chicken Soup You’ll Ever Make
- 10-Minute Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!