The Holiday season includes some of the best flavors, doesn’t it? Sweet potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, cranberries… can’t you just smell it? These flavors flood my mind with memories and maybe that’s why it’s one of my favorite times of the year.
A few years back, I took my favorite holiday flavors and came up with a side dish for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners that has since become a staple at our holiday dinner table. There are a million ways to make sweet potatoes, but this one is by far my favorite. It’s naturally sweet from the sweet potatoes and apples, but not overly sweet from adding extra sugary ingredients. The apples, cranberries and sweet potato mix beautifully with the spiced crumbly topping of oats, butter, cinnamon and a bit of coconut sugar. I make it 100% gluten-free, but it can be made traditionally too. It’s the perfect side to your holiday turkey or ham!
Cranberry Apple Sweet Potato Crisp
Makes about 6 servings
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon), divided
- 1 apple, any variety
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 stick of butter, cold
- 2 tbsp flour (gluten-free or all-purpose)
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- Peel sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler and then cut into 1 inch sections. Rinse the pieces under water with a colander. Add to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft (about 25 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice up the apples and cranberries. I like to use a chopper to make this quick and easy! Combine together and set aside. (**TIP: Save your leftover fresh cranberries for your next holiday by freezing them in a food storage bag. They’ll last for 6 months at least!)
- Dice up the cold butter into small cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the oats, flour, coconut sugar and 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon). Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain the water and place them into an electric mixer bowl. Add the cream cheese and 1 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon). Mix until fluffy and well blended.
- Spray a 8 in x 11 in baking dish with coconut oil spray (or any oil). Add the sweet potato mixture and spread to cover the dish.
- Top with combined cranberries and apples.
- Add combined butter, oats, sugar and spices and spread over the fruit.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bubbly and starting to brown. Once cooked, put it under the broiler for just a few minutes to crisp up the sugars.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Give this a try and let me know what you think! How do you enjoy sweet potatoes during the holidays? Tell us in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!