Moms are always looking for creative new ways to get their kids (and maybe even themselves) to eat healthy. Some of us try meal planning, packing homemade school lunches and even preparing made-from-scratch snacks. Despite all our efforts, doesn’t it seem like the kids still head toward the nearest granola bar every time they’re hungry? I know mine too and it’s so frustrating. I have great, healthy food in the house, but no one but me want to take any time to put it together.
When I was offered the chance to try out Hefty® Slider Bags, I was more than willing to put them to use in my kitchen. I am constantly using food storage bags for school lunches, leftovers and snacks for after school activities. There are so many creative ways to use these bags in your every day life. But could I somehow use these to help my kids make better choices for snacks in the kitchen?
I headed to Walmart to pick up my quart-size Hefty® Slider Bags, where I took advantage of the current Ibotta rebate that gives $1 back when you buy any 3 Hefty® Slider Bags. I was thrilled to learn that these quality bags are actually cheaper than Ziploc and extra strong thanks to their MaxLock® track design that you can actually hear click when it closes so you know you won’t have a leak.
Grab & Go Healthy Snack Boxes
I know my kids would choose healthy snacks if I kept them pre-made and easily accessible, but it would take a little extra work on my part. I decided to create Grab & Go Healthy Snack Boxes to keep in both my pantry and my refrigerator.
- Hefty® Slider Bags, quart-size or smaller
- Two 6.2 Quart Size Plastic Storage Boxes (15 ” x 11.5 ” x 3.25″), or similar size
- Make one box for dry snacks found in the pantry and the other for refrigerated, fresh snacks.
- For the pantry snacks, choose healthy snacks such as popcorn, whole grain crackers, pita chips, trail mixes, nuts, dried fruit, etc. Add one serving to each snack to a bag and then place in the box.
- For the refrigerated snacks, choose fruits and vegetables such as apples, oranges, grapes, celery, carrot, cucumber, etc. Wash and slice each item so they’re prepared to eat. Add one serving of each to a bag and then place in the box. (I recommend including some little tubs of ranch dressing or nut butter for dipping!)
- Fill each box with snacks and then place in the pantry and refrigerator.
My kids were thrilled to try these out when they got home from school. Believe it or not, they didn’t even reach for the sugar-filled granola bars! Give these a try in your house and you will finally feel like you’ve won the challenge that every mom wants to accomplish: getting your kids to eat healthy snacks!
Don’t forget to load your Ibotta rebate and earn $1 back on your purchase of any 3 Hefty® Slider Bags!
How do you get your kids to enjoy healthy snacks at home? Share with us in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!