Spring is close but winter will still be around a little longer. Around here, the rain has been non-stop (which is very bizarre for California!) The cold weather is keeping the kids inside, and they are probably either glued to the TV or computer, or bored. It’s time to find some affordable things to do with your kids to get them away from their electronics and enjoying some quality family time.
Here are seven affordable and awesome winter activities to enjoy with your kids and keep them busy!
- Cookie Decorating. Kids love to decorate cookies! It doesn’t matter if you whip up your own batch or buy pre-made dough, you can decorate a whole batch of cookies for around $5. Your kids will love being creative and this activity will keep them entertained for a couple of hours. And the best part . . . there is a tasty treat to enjoy when they’re done.
- Look for Free Festivals. Check your local listings for winter festivals. For instance, there might be a craft fair or an ice sculpting festival nearby. You should be able to easily find these free events through a quick Google search or on your local news channels website.
- Go Ice Skating. The best way to enjoy a day skating is outside, all bundled up. And there’s no other time of year that you can get this experience. Look for outdoor ice skating rinks in your area, many shopping malls are incorporating them now. The cost is low and usually includes your rentals. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and a bag lunch or snacks to keep it budget friendly.
- Play-Doh Sets. Play-Doh is super affordable and it’s something most kids love to play with. You even can even make your own to save more money (search online for a recipe). Use the Play-Doh to make different kinds of pizzas, ice cream, treats or whatever your set includes Encourage your child’s creativity by having them name their goodies.
- Treasure Hunt. A treasure hunt is basically free and it just takes a little bit of time to plan. Use envelopes to conceal the clues then hide the envelopes so each one sends them on a search for the next. Lead your children to an awesome prize at the end, like ice cream sundaes, a new game or maybe movie tickets.
- Pudding Painting. Let your kids get dirty and have fun! Make a few containers of pudding and place them on your table. Give your kids some paper and let them go crazy dipping their fingers in the pudding and spread it all around the paper to create artful masterpieces. Since you don’t have to worry if they eat the “paint”, it’s fun for kids of all ages.
- Make a Movie. Kids love to act and watch themselves on video. So videotape their performance on your smartphone camera. Your child can sing, dance or put on a show. They’ll love watching themselves later and you even can use a movie maker application on your computer to edit and turn it into a short film.
What activities keep your kids most entertained when stuck inside? Share with us in the comments below!
Want more useful tips like this?
Subscribe and get my FREE e-Book!
The Top 10 Most Popular Posts from the Past Year
Get simple tips & tricks to better manage your home including real food recipes, kids & family fun, thrifty living, natural living, hacks for your home and more!